[hobbit] beastat - How do you use it?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jun 1 22:13:57 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 10:04:55AM -0700, Boone, Jim wrote:

> * The "bea-snmpstats.sh" script has been removed, and replaced
>   with an enhanced tool "beastat". This collects statistics via
>   SNMP from BEA Weblogic servers, and reports these via "data"
>   messages to Hobbit. The data collected are run-time data for
>   the JRockIT JVM and thread/memory utilization data from each
>   Weblogic server instance.
>

> This looks like an interesting feature, at least for those of us running
> Weblogic.  I can't seam to find any documentation on how to configure
> the tools or how to display the results.  Any help?

It's somewhat rough around the edges, yes. I've only tried it with
Weblogic 8, so I dont know if it works with other versions. Here's
a quick rundown of what you need to do:

1) Enable the SNMP subsystem on your Weblogic server. This is *not*
   the SNMP daemon from your operating system; Weblogic includes
   its own SNMP service. If you need to run both the OS SNMP daemon
   and the Weblogic one, you need to move one of them to a different
   port number. Make sure this port is accessible from the Hobbit server
   (check firewall setups and such).

2) Install the Net-SNMP package on your Hobbit server.

3) Install the BEA Weblogic enterprise MIB definitions. This is the
   BEA-WEBLOGIC-MIB.txt file found on your Weblogic CD - you can
   probably find it on the BEA website also. On my Debian box, you just
   put this into /usr/share/snmp/mibs/ - precisely where you put it
   depends on how you've installed the Net-SNMP package.

4) Check that the SNMP stuff works. On the Hobbit server, run the command
      snmpwalk -m BEA-WEBLOGIC-MIB -c public at Domain1 -v1 \
          10.0.0.1:161 enterprises.140.625.302.1
   "public" is the SNMP "community string" you have configured on your
   weblogic server when you enabled SNMP.
   "Domain1" is the BEA administration domain.
   "10.0.0.1" is the IP-address of your BEA server
   "161" is the SNMP port number for the BEA SNMP service. 161 is the
   default SNMP port; if you configured SNMP on the BEA for a different
   port number you should use that.

   This command should give you a lot of lines beginning with
       BEA-WEBLOGIC-MIB::jRockIt......
   which is the runtime statistics from the jRockIT JVM. If you dont get
   any output, check the community string, IP-address and port number.
   You can also leave out the "@Domain" part - that will give you
   statistics for ALL of the BEA instances.

   This needs to work before you can go any further.

5) Add the beastat task to your hobbitlaunch.cfg file. Like this:
    [beastat]
        ENVFILE /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
	CMD beastat
	LOGFILE /var/log/hobbit/beastat.log
	INTERVAL 5m

6) Find your BEA servers in the bb-hosts file (or add them, if they are
   not already there). Then to add collection of the BEA statistics, add
   the tag "bea=community at domain:portnumber" - e.g.

       10.0.0.1   bea1.foo.com  # bea=public at Domain1:161

   If it works, you should see a "bea" column appear on the Hobbit
   webpage, and some "bea*.rrd" files show up in the
   ~hobbit/data/rrd/HOSTNAME/ directory.