[hobbit] Handling SNMP traps with Hobbit

FARRIOR, Andy Andy.Farrior at victoriacollege.edu
Sat Jul 16 21:01:31 CEST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Henrik Stoerner [mailto:henrik at hswn.dk]
Sent: Sat 7/16/2005 2:22 AM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] Handling SNMP traps with Hobbit

>Instead of reading the checkpoint file, I'd query the hobbit daemon
>directly. You do this with the bb client tool and the "hobbitdboard"
>command. E.g. to fetch the hostname and expiry-time for all "trap"
>statuses you can do this:
>   $BB $BBDISP "hobbitdboard test=trap fields=hostname,validtime"
>The output looks like this:
>   adsl.hswn.dk|1121498714
>   backup-mx.post.tele.dk|1121498714
>   www.sslug.dk|1121498623

I should have known you could do something like that with Hobbit....  I'll play with that.  (There was a voice in the back of my head that told me not to use the checkpoint file, but I didn't know what else to use.  must read all docs...)  Thanks.

>Another - perhaps more elegant - solution is to change Hobbit so
>that you can send a status-message that does not expire. I'd be
>willing to implement such a change since it does make sense for
>this kind of integration with other systems. (I have a similar
>problem on my system where it receives e-mails instead of SNMP
>traps). However, then you will not get any indication if your
>SNMP module stops working, so each method has its benefits and
>drawbacks.

For now, I think I'll try using long LIFETIME values like 24h or 48h and set the status to "no traps to report" after that time period.

>My Perl skills are really poor, so I'd love it if you could
>change the trap.pl script to use the hobbitdboard command instead
>of the checkpoint file.

I *should* have something by Monday.

thanks Henrik!

Andy