[hobbit] Henrik

Stefan Loos stefan_loos at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 14 21:45:57 CEST 2005

I couldn't have said it better!

Regards
Stefan

<v.everett at afgonline.com.au><br>>Reply-To:
and Gentlemen of the list<br>><br>>I would like to take a moment to
publicly thank Henrik for his time.<br>><br>>Not only did Henrik write
an amazing tool, but he released it as open<br>>source, allowing all of
us to benefit from his effort.<br>>Henrik didn't ask for anything in
return.<br>><br>>I work for a financial company. Their philosophy is,
if it's free, it<br>>must be worth exactly what we paid for it.<br>>I
proved them wrong. I showed them Hobbit is fantastic application
which<br>>has, in the past 3 months, proven itself over and
over.<br>><br>>But then at the end of last month, Hobbit had a serious
problem. My<br>>colleagues laughed.<br>>"You running open source.
Let's see where you get your support from."<br>><br>>I mailed
this list, and Henrik jumped into action.<br>>We discussed it on the list
for a while, then took it offline.<br>>Later, we were joined offline by
Stefan Loos.<br>>Henrik wrote new versions. Inserted more logging.
Analysed data we sent<br>>him. Debugged his code. Wrote new versions
again.<br>>We did rebuilds, monitored problems, gathered logs, collected
data, and<br>>made it all available to Henrik.<br>>Eventually, Henrik
mailed us a final new hobbitd.c and asked us to<br>>rebuild the
application.<br>><br>>Touch wood, but so far (48 hours later)
everything looks good.<br>><br>>People, Henrik worked hard on this
bug. 12 days, for no reward.<br>>He had no problem with his Hobbit, and
no incentive to fix ours, except<br>>for a commitment to the open source
community, and to us.<br>>We are not entitled to Henrik's software, bug
fixes, support, time or<br>>advice.<br>>It is something Henrik gives
us of his own free will, and for that I am<br>>most
   Vernon<br>><br>>_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _<br>><br>>NOTICE: This message and any
attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material<br>>of
Australian Finance Group Limited or a third party. It is intended solely for
the purpose of the<br>>addressee and any other named recipient. If you
are not the intended recipient, any use,<br>>distribution, disclosure or
copying of this message is strictly prohibited. The confidentiality
attached<br>>to this message is not waived or lost by reason of the
mistaken transmission or delivery to any<br>>unintended party. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the author immediately
or<br>>contact Australian Finance Group on +61 8 9420