[hobbit] Status Unavailable - again

Henrik Storner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jul 11 16:41:38 CEST 2005

In <BAY107-F116EA789812F70D2A4881884DC0 at phx.gbl> "Stefan Loos" <stefan_loos at hotmail.com> writes:

>do you think we see this issue because the kernel was built with a different
>compiler than I was using for building the hobbit server?

>@Henrik - do you think this could be the problem?

No, I dont think so. Compiler versions should not matter, in the end it's
just binary code.

One thing I do have in mind as a potential source of this problem is the
fact that newer Linux distributions tend to stuff all sorts of new
"scalability" features into their kernels and libc libraries. This could
mean that they come with versions of the kernel and/or libraries that have
bugs which Hobbit happens to trigger - some of the features that Hobbit
uses are not terribly common for applications, so there could be bugs
that just haven't been discovered yet.

But for now, let's assume that the bug is in Hobbit (until we can
prove otherwise).