[hobbit] Hobbit + bb-fetch

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Sat Jan 29 22:50:12 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 21:56 +0100, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 12:32:45PM -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
> > Will Hobbit play nice with bbfetch?  If I recall, bbfetch is run on the
> > BBDISPLAY server, and scp's the raw status files generated by the remote
> > clients modified $BBHOME/bin/bb.
>
> It might not ... I haven't tried bbfetch myself, so I cannot say.
> But it would probably be pretty easy to come up with a script that
> picks up the status-files that bbfetch collects, and sends them off
> to the Hobbit daemon via the normal Hobbit "bb" command.
>

> > If bb-fetch won't work with Hobbit, it might be nice to incorporate
> > similar functionality in, as it is quite useful for situations where
> > bbproxy won't do the trick because of one-way firewall issues.
>
> I have some ideas for a Hobbit client, and yes - making it work in
> both a "push" (normal client) and a "pull" (bbfetch style) setup
> it necessary.

I'm actually rather fond of the bb-central style - no clients, all of
the "client like scripts" run via ssh from the server.

bb-fetch has trouble with time - the remote client wipes the status
files on it's own schedule, and the server picks them up on it's own
schedule, and if the client isn't done writing you end up with lots of
purples...

I haven't tried bb-central with hobbit yet.  bbmap is still my next
priority now that I've got a really good bbmrtg.pl running.  But I've
got to get bb-central up soon