easy way to set larrd tags for a group of systems in bb-hosts?

Tom Georgoulias tgeorgoulias at nandomedia.com
Thu Jan 27 22:13:43 CET 2005

I've been populating my bb-hosts files and adding tags to use many of
the tests offered by hobbit that weren't in my BB setup.  In doing so, I
couldn't help but notice that for some sets of systems, they all use the
same tags.  For example, say my bb-hosts looks something like this,
where different groups of servers have different services, but each
server in that group has the same thing:

IP web1.foo.com  # "LARRD:*,vmstat:vmstat1|vmstat4" http://www.foo.com/
IP web2.foo.com # "LARRD:*,vmstat:vmstat1|vmstat4" http://www.foo.com/
IP web3.foo.com # "LARRD:*,vmstat:vmstat1|vmstat4" http://www.foo.com/
IP db1.foo.com # "LARRD:*,vmstat:vmstat|vmstat4"
IP db2.foo.com # "LARRD:*,vmstat:vmstat|vmstat4"
IP db3.foo.com # "LARRD:*,vmstat:vmstat|vmstat4"
IP build1.foo.com # "LARRD:*,vmstat:vmstat2|vmstat3" ftp
IP build2.foo.com # "LARRD:*,vmstat:vmstat2|vmstat3" ftp
IP build3.foo.com # "LARRD:*,vmstat:vmstat2|vmstat3" ftp

Is there an easy way that I can define a macro or meta tag that would
capture this data, so I could do something like this (fabricated syntax
to follow) where I group into a single variable and just reference that?

web_monitors  = ( "LARRD:*,vmstat:vmstat1|vmstat4" http://www.foo.com/ )

web1.foo.com # $web_monitors

I checked the bb-host manpage and found a reference to using an include
file to keep bb-hosts short, but I think I would still have to have
individual lines in each include file.

Just thought I'd ask.

Tom