network test timeouts for hung TCP connects?

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Wed Jan 26 23:17:01 CET 2005

My production BigBrother server is running BigBrother + bbgen 2.5 (I
know there is newer bbgen, I plan on replacing BB with a Hobbit
server).  My current bb+bbgen setup has problems whenever a machine dies
in such a way that it is pingable, but when you connect to any open TCP
port you get nothing back (usually caused by a memory error or
overheating).  When my current bb+bbgen setup tries to test one of these
machines that has zombified, it gets hung testing that host, and
eventually everything turns purple since  bb isn't updating anymore.

Does Hobbit have proper timeouts to timeout a hung TCP connection so
this sort of thing does not happen?  For all I know this behavior was
fixed in bbgen 3.x ,  but as I said I plan on just phasing out my BB
server in favor of Hobbit.

-Charles