building hobbit as standalone server on existing BB server

Tom Georgoulias tgeorgoulias at nandomedia.com
Fri Jan 21 16:59:03 CET 2005

I was considering setting up a standalone hobbit server for testing, but
building that hobbit server on the same system as my BB server to ease
the migration off of BB.  Doing so would allow me to leverage all of my
pre-built utilites like RRDtool & fping, use same userid as bb, etc.,
plus I can leave my old BB server in place until I'm ready to switch
over.  I want to make the jump from a non-bbgen BB to a full hobbit.

First off, is this a good idea?  I've been reading the install &
migration docs and it seems like this could work, but I want to be sure
my impressions are correct.  I ran through the configure step using
$BBHOME/hobbit as the hobbit install dir & bb as the userid and created
a makefile.  After the Makefile was created, I checked it out and the
thing that scared me enough to post this message was the use of port
1984 by hobbit.  That's going to conflict with my current BB server
daemon and its normal operation, right?

I've decided to hold off until I learn more.  FWIW, I'm using beta5 plus
the new patch.

Many thanks,
Tom