[hobbit] pagetype: HOST alerting feature?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Feb 18 07:50:30 CET 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 05:01:53PM -0800, Bruce Lysik wrote:

> So I migrated one of our BB installations officially over to Hobbit
>  today.  Woohoo.  So now the questions and comments from the other
>  sysadmins start to come in.

Oh my god ... they're actually *using* the darn thing :-)

> Bigbrother apparently has a paging setting where if all the hosts
>  for a check fail, it will only page you on one of the checks.  ie, a
>  host's nic fails, so ping, http checks, snmp checks fail, but
>  bigbrother would only page you about the ping check failing and
>  preventing a deluge to your pager.
>
> Does hobbit have a way to do this?

It should do that "out of the box". Hobbit's network tester mimics the
way BB does network tests, so if the ping-test fails the "conn" column
will be red, but the other network tests for that host will go
"clear". And the "clear" color normally does not trigger a page.

The "depends" setting mentioned here is for dependencies between
hosts, e.g. if your webserver needs an application server to be up
before it can send a response.