[hobbit] pagetype: HOST alerting feature?

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Fri Feb 18 02:37:55 CET 2005

Bruce Lysik wrote:

>>Bigbrother apparently has a paging setting where if all the
>>hosts for a check fail, it will only page you on one of the
>>checks.
>>

>Er, I meant: a paging setting where if all the checks for a host fail...

depends=(testA:host1/test1,host2/test2),(testB:host3/test3),[...]
    This tag allows you to define dependencies betweeen tests. If
    "testA" for the current host depends on "test1" for host "host1" and
    test "test2" for "host2", this can be defined with

       depends=(testA:host1/test1,host2/test2)

    When deciding the color to report for testA, if either host1/test1
    failed or host2/test2 failed, if testA has failed also then the
    color of testA will be "clear" instead of red or yellow.

    Since all tests are actually run before the dependencies are
    evaluated, you can use any host/test in the dependency - regardless
    of the actual sequence that the hosts are listed, or the tests run.
    It is also valid to use tests from the same host that the dependency
    is for. E.g.

       1.2.3.4  foo # http://foo/ webmin depends=(webmin:foo/http)

    is valid; if both the http and the webmin tests fail, then webmin
    will be reported as clear.

    Note: The "depends" tag is evaluated on the BBNET server while
    running the network tests. It can therefore only refer to other
    network tests that are handled by the same BBNET server - there is
    currently no way to use the e.g. the status of locally run tests
    (disk, cpu, msgs) or network tests from other BBNET servers in a
    dependency definition. Such dependencies are silently ignored.