[hobbit] Useful Info (Re: [hobbit] More Temperature Questions :-))

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Feb 16 13:28:52 CET 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 12:07:00PM -0700, Charles Jones wrote:

> I noticed when you click a disk graph, that the url indicates which
> partitions to display via "&first=1&count=4", would show all four disk
> partitions.  If you change that to &first=1&count=1, it only graphs the
> first disk partition (usually /).
>
> I tried the same thing with the temperature graphs and it worked, ie:
> http://www.myhobbitserver.com/hobbit-cgi/hobbitgraph.sh?host=somehost.com&service=temperature&first=1&count=1&disp=somehost%2enet&action=menu
>
> Displayed the graph for only "Ambient".

You have sharp eyes - yes, this is precisely how hobbitgraph handles
cases where there are multiple graphs combined in one image. It builds
a list of the available graphs, sort them by a key - for disks that is
the filesystem name, for temperature it's the name of the temperature
monitor - and uses the "first" and "count" settings to decide which
ones from this set of data to include on the current graph.

> I guess a question I would have about that is how could I set that as
> default, or even better, if there was some GUI way to select which
> values to include in the graph (maybe its part of Cacti already, I dunno).

There's currently no way of setting up a default view of a graph -
apart from which graph to include in the default set, you might also
want the monthly graph as the default, instead of the 48-hour graph;
or you want the graph to be clipped at some maximum value by default;
or ... lots of other possibilities. Plus a GUI to dynamically tune the
graph in real-time.

It's something I want to improve after the 4.0 release is out. So I'll
happily note your input, but postpone any implementation of it till
later. Some of the stuff I want to do requires changes to the RRDtool
library - Tobi Oetiker (RRDtool author) doesn't want to do these
changes for RRDtool 1.0.x, so I'll probably end up including a
modified RRDtool with Hobbit. And that's just too much work for 4.0.