[hobbit] Ext tests/scripts

Asif Iqbal iqbala-hobbit at qwestip.net
Mon Feb 14 23:47:18 CET 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:32:02AM, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 22:59 +0100, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 04:15:00PM -0500, Kevin.Hanrahan at novainfo.com wrote:
> > > We have several custom tests we use from our BB server to check
> > > applications. In BB it was possible to add these into the /ext directory and
> > > then call them from /etc/bb-bbexttab. Is there a provision for this type of
> > > thing in Hobbit?
> >
> > Set them up as tasks in hobbitlaunch.cfg .
> >
> > NB: The environment variables provided by Hobbit to a script is not
> > quite the same as that which BB provides. Some BB extensions use
> > environment variables for some commands, e.g $GREP instead of grep.
> > Hobbit does not set this up by default, so you should check what
> > your scripts expect, and if necessary add the extra environment
> > variables to hobbitserver.cfg (or change the script).
>
> Just wondering if there is a reason for this?
>
> Personally, whenever writing ext scripts, I always made an effort to
> call all the various utilities like sed/grep/etc as ${SED}/${GREP}/etc.
> This, I figured saved everyone from editing the ext script for each

I would assume it would be owner's responsibility to make their script,
be it shell/perl or something else, as portable as possible. Assuming,
you rather depend on the environment for your script to work, switching
from BB environment to HOBBIT environment you get a lot more performance
and flexibility gain compare to the lose of enviroment variables.

Such a small loss for such a huge gain, you do the math. Now if you
still want your scripts to work just follow what Henrik said and add
those variables to hobbitserver.cfg file.

Thanks

> platform they needed to run it on (assuming it is either being shared on
> deadcat, or else being used across multiple OS's.... Even different
> releases of linux use different paths.
>
> It would seem a shame to need to make all these scripts *more*
> specific...
>
> PS, I haven't yet had a chance to install hobbit, so perhaps I am
> missing something really obvious... It sounds great, and once it is
> released, I'm sure I will install and use it.
>
> Regards,
> Adam
>
> --
>  --
> Adam Goryachev
> Website Managers
> Ph:  +61 2 8304 0000                        adam at websitemanagers.com.au
> Fax: +61 2 9345 4396                        www.websitemanagers.com.au

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
"...it said: Install Windows XP or better...so I installed Solaris..."