[hobbit] Larrd graphs not working

Michael Frey michael_frey at glic.com
Thu Dec 29 21:06:02 CET 2005

After running the commands as you outlined below, the output in file.png
is:
Expires: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:26:06 GMT

If I view the file.png file with a png viewer, it is only a black screen.

Michael Frey
Intel Senior Systems Engineer
The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America
3900 Burgess Place, 2-West
Bethlehem, PA 18017
E-Mail: Michael_frey at glic.com
Phone: 610-807-7889
Fax: 610-807-6003

henrik at hswn.dk (Henrik Stoerner)
12/28/2005 06:06 PM
Please respond to
hobbit at hswn.dk

hobbit at hswn.dk
cc

Subject
Re: [hobbit] Larrd graphs not working

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 05:06:16PM -0500, James B Horwath wrote:
> I'm trying to help a coworker debug/fix Hobbit running on Linux 7.2. I
> know BB pretty well, but I'm just learning Hobbit.  Everything on the
> Hobbit install works fine, except the larrd historical graphs.  For
> example at the bottom of machine X's disk page the icon for the larrd is

> grayed out.  I can click on it and see the next three grayed out icons
> which should be larrd graphs.

Since the graph links show up, it sounds like the RRD files are being
created (meaning that the data is being picked up and archived); you
can check if there are any rrd-files in the data/rrd/HOSTNAME/
directories.

So I think it's a problem with the CGI that generates the actual graph
images. Debugging CGI's are a bit tricky, but:

- setup the environment variable QUERY_STRING, this is the part of the
  URL for the graph image that follows the '?'. It's done with
  export
QUERY_STRING="host=voodoo.hswn.dk&service=conn&graph=hourly&action=view"
  (replace the hostname with what your host is called).
- also setup
    export REQUEST_METHOD=GET
    export REQUEST_URI=""
- run "~hobbit/cgi-bin/hobbitgraph.sh >/tmp/file.png"

Look at the output in /tmp/file.png. Any errors there ?

A common problem is that the rrdtool run-time library or some of
the graph libraries are not included in the default library search
path. You probably need to put the directory where these libraries
are installed into /etc/ld.so.conf and run "ldconfig" after that.

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that
is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or communication of this message is strictly prohibited.  If
immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any
attachments.  Thank you.