[hobbit] Larrd graphs not working

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Dec 29 00:06:02 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 05:06:16PM -0500, James B Horwath wrote:
> I'm trying to help a coworker debug/fix Hobbit running on Linux 7.2. I
> know BB pretty well, but I'm just learning Hobbit.  Everything on the
> Hobbit install works fine, except the larrd historical graphs.  For
> example at the bottom of machine X's disk page the icon for the larrd is
> grayed out.  I can click on it and see the next three grayed out icons
> which should be larrd graphs.

Since the graph links show up, it sounds like the RRD files are being
created (meaning that the data is being picked up and archived); you
can check if there are any rrd-files in the data/rrd/HOSTNAME/
directories.

So I think it's a problem with the CGI that generates the actual graph
images. Debugging CGI's are a bit tricky, but:

- setup the environment variable QUERY_STRING, this is the part of the
  URL for the graph image that follows the '?'. It's done with
  export QUERY_STRING="host=voodoo.hswn.dk&service=conn&graph=hourly&action=view"
  (replace the hostname with what your host is called).
- also setup
    export REQUEST_METHOD=GET
    export REQUEST_URI=""
- run "~hobbit/cgi-bin/hobbitgraph.sh >/tmp/file.png"

Look at the output in /tmp/file.png. Any errors there ?

A common problem is that the rrdtool run-time library or some of
the graph libraries are not included in the default library search
path. You probably need to put the directory where these libraries
are installed into /etc/ld.so.conf and run "ldconfig" after that.