[hobbit] 2 questions

Jeff Stoner stoners at verizon.net
Sat Dec 24 02:32:14 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 14:53 +0100, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> > 2. What is the hobbitd_filter program? The comment is:
> >
> > /* Filter for incoming messages.
>
> It's a left-over from some early thoughts I had about how to deal with
> clients.
>
> > but I don't see where it gets called from hobbitd or launched as a
> > separate process. I'm very intrigued by this code and what I can
> > accomplish with it.
>
> It was never finished, so you cannot do anything with it. What did you
> have in mind ?

Embedding a Perl interpreter, hooking into the message stream, a la
mod_perl. hobbitd_filter would be the perfect place for this since
hobbitd workers can only connect to one channel. In order to create
hooks for the various message types, I'd have to have an embedded perl
worker running for each channel and they wouldn't be able to (easily)
share cached code, memory, etc.

There may be other ways to accomplish what I'm doing. I'll keep
researching.

--
--Jeff
"Go to Jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200."