[hobbit] System Log Monitoring

Bob Gordon rgordonjr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 18:16:28 CEST 2005

On 8/12/05, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:
> I guess the log monitoring will need some local configuration,
> although I really hate that. But sending entire logs across the wire
> every 5 minutes won't work.

True..  That can get quite intensive...

> Also, I'd really like to have some mechanism for alerting different
> people depending on what log-entry triggers an alert. (Same goes for
> the "procs" and perhaps "disk" olumns, by the way - but I know how
> to implement that).
>
> So ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Hmmm...  How do you feel about pushing configs to clients?  (or
pulling from)..  The configuration could be maintained on the server
and every 8 hours or so (configurable) the client requests a
configuration update.

You can probably use the same alerting mechanism from the procs and
disks columns.

> There *is* a hook in the current client, so that if the client sends
> - as part of the client message - a section headed "[msgs]", then this
> will be used for the "msgs" column instead of the default "clear"
> status. Any "&red" or "&yellow" identifiers will trigger a change of
> the color.

I haven't had a chance to look at the client that much (only installed
it last night).. Where do we add something for this?
clientlaunch.cfg?

> There's also a deadcat add-on for log monitoring, that can be run as
> a client extension script. You'll need to disable the default Hobbit
> client reporting of the "msgs" column, which is not possible in 4.1.1,
> but has been added in the current snapshots and upcoming 4.1.2.

Adding the scripts is a piece of cake in this client (Thanks!!)..  For
right now where would we disable the client msgs?  (I am running the
4.1.2 snapshot)..

--
--==[ Bob Gordon ]==--