[hobbit] auto-restart clients

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Apr 23 17:52:29 CEST 2005

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 11:41:15AM -0400, kevin hanrahan wrote:

>  For reasons which I cannot understand, our unix admins feel the need to
> reboot their machines constantly. I don't think there is an uptime
> exceeding 2 weeks!! However when that happens, the BB client stops
> reporting and I eventually get the purple alerts from Hobbit. Can
> someone tell me how to get the clients to auto-restart? Also, I am not a
> coder so please don't tell me to "write a script to make them start at
> reboot" because that is obvious....i just don't know how. Thank you for
> all input on this.

Normally a script like this would suffice:

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
  "start")
	su -c "/usr/local/bb/bbc/runbb.sh start" bb
	;;

  "stop")
	su -c "/usr/local/bb/bbc/runbb.sh stop" bb
	;;
esac

exit 0

Now the trick is to get that script run automatically when the system
starts up. How you do that depends on the Unix flavour - often the
script is installed in /etc/init.d/bigbrother, and then you need to
create links from /etc/rc2.d/S99bigbrother -> /etc/init.d/bigbrother