[hobbit] New features

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Apr 18 14:42:06 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 08:28 +0200, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 07:25:40PM -0400, kevin hanrahan wrote:
>

> The second part requires a bit more web GUI creativity - it's about
> how you can create a web front-end to define the page layouts for
> Hobbit (the "page", "subpage", "group-compress", "title" etc. tags you
> currently have in bb-hosts, but which do not relate to any specific
> host).

So... make them apply to a specific host.  Just like with the alternate
pagesets.

I maintain three bb-hosts files:
bb-hosts - has a few defaults, the BB infrastructure servers, etc.
bb-hosts-network - has all of the devices that I monitor with MRTG,
generated from a mysql database.
bb-hosts-network-pages - has all of the page structure.

So, in bb-hosts-network, I might have:
0.0.0.0 brackenridge-2950.austin-energy.net     # nodisp prefer  ntp
NETMAP:central-brackenridge
0.0.0.0 brackenridge-3750.austin-energy.net     # nodisp prefer  ntp
NETMAP:central-brackenridge
0.0.0.0 brackenridge-probe.austin-energy.net    # nodisp prefer
NETMAP:central-brackenridge
0.0.0.0 brackenridge-ups-789.austin-energy.net  # nodisp prefer
NETMAP:central-brackenridge
0.0.0.0 brackenridge-ups.austin-energy.net      # nodisp prefer
NETMAP:central-brackenridge

And in bb-hosts-network-pages I have:
netmappage central central
netmapsubpage central-balcones balcones
netmapsubpage central-brackenridge brackenridge
netmapsubpage central-cameron cameron
netmapsubpage central-centralaustin centralaustin

These can easily be split into different tables.  I'd probably set up my
page table to have a parent field, so that you can support arbitrary
levels.  You might want to put groups in the same table, with some sort
of flag to distinguish between a group and a page.  But a group is
merely another hierarchical place to stick hosts.

Then, in the host table, just add a field that signified the page/group
that the host belongs to.  To support alternate pagesets, you might want
to make that a linked table in an 1:n relationship.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com