[hobbit] rrd graphs for bb-xsnmp.pl script

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Apr 5 17:49:00 CEST 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:33:29AM -0400, Deal, Richard wrote:
> I had a lot of graphs for several routers, ups, etc but they seem to be
> rather hosed.  It looks like the data that was transferred is graphed
> well but no new data is going in correctly.  It seems that any script
> sending data in a status message is not working.  I suspect due to the
> formatting.

Hobbit does handle all of the graphs that LARRD knew about, and a few
more. However, it is quite likely that you installed a script that
sends in messages with a different format, that Hobbit does not
understand.

> One example is bb-xsnmp.pl script.  I am using against routers, switches
> and apc ups.  Using an APC ups as an example I get this in the web page:
>
> Tue Apr 5 09:23:03 2005
>
> green UPS Temperature: 37? C
>

> bb-xsnmp.pl Version: 1.78

I suppose that shows up in a column labelled "temperature" ?

Hobbit does know about "temperature" reports, but it assumes that are
formatted differently than what bb-xsnmp.pl sends (You can see what it
expects in the hobbitd/larrd/do_temperature.c file).

If you can send me a sample of the status-messages that bb-xsnmp.pl
generates, I can probably tweak Hobbit's RRD modules to recognize
those reports. The best way of getting those data is to run

~/server/bin/bb 127.0.0.1 "hobbitdlog HOSTNAME.COLUMN" >COLUMN.txt

since that preserves any formatting (tabs, newlines etc) that the
report uses.