[hobbit] bbtest-net output & poll time

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Apr 4 23:21:45 CEST 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 05:09:47PM -0400, Schwimmer, Eric E *HS wrote:
> >> specifically the "Tests Loaded" section.  Does 20 seconds seem
> >> reasonable for a bb-hosts file our our size?
> >
> > No, it seems a bit much. My main server has about 1500 hosts in it,
> > and spends 4 seconds loading that file (actually, it is split into
> > about 30 files). If you look at the "bbgen" status, what's the time
> > reported for the "Load bbhosts done" line ?
>
> >From bbgen:
> Load bbhosts done          1112648694.989501   0.178303

OK, that's interesting - because it means that the code that does the
basic parsing of the file is pretty fast, and the code that handles
the network test setup is awfullly slow.

I hadn't noticed that before, but I looked at my own servers now and
there is a difference between the time for loading the bb-hosts file
for just bbgen and for bbtest-net (1 second vs. 4 seconds in my
case). I wonder why ... it something I'll need to look at one day.