[hobbit] trends columns all turned purple

David Gore David.Gore at mci.com
Sat Apr 2 18:30:02 CEST 2005

David Gore wrote:

> Here is the first core trace after the re-install and start 4.0.1:
>
> hobbit at hobbit ~/server> gdb bin/hobbitd tmp/core
> GNU gdb 6.0
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
> you are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
> This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.9"...
> Core was generated by `hobbitd
> --restart=/export/home/hobbit/server/tmp/hobbitd.chk --checkpoint-file='.
> Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.1...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libc.so.1
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libdl.so.1...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libmp.so.2...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
> Reading symbols from /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-4/lib/libc_psr.so.1...done.
> Loaded symbols for /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-4/lib/libc_psr.so.1
> #0  0xff19d3d4 in _libc_kill () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0xff19d3d4 in _libc_kill () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
> #1  0xff135698 in abort () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
> #2  0x0001db68 in sigsegv_handler (signum=10) at sig.c:57
> #3  <signal handler called>
>

> Henrik Stoerner wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:51:45PM +0000, David Gore wrote:
>>

>>> Yes one core file:
>>>
>>> hobbit at hobbit ~/server> find . -name core
>>> ./tmp/core
>>> hobbit at hobbit ~/server> file tmp/core
>>> tmp/core:       ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from
>>> 'hobbitd'
>>> hobbit at hobbit ~/server> ls -al tmp/core
>>> -rw-------    1 hobbit   other     8322084 Apr  1 03:27 tmp/core
>>>
>>> I checked to make sure the lines were correct in maint.pl.  I am
>>> reinstalling 4.0.1, again and will let you know how it goes.
>>>

>> OK, so it does dump core.
>>
>> To get some more info about this, you need the core file *and* the
>> hobbitd binary that generated it. Then run
>>
>>   $ gdb bin/hobbitd tmp/core
>>   [messages from gdb]
>>   gdb> bt
>>
>> to load the core file and the hobbitd binary into gdb (the GNU
>> debugger), and the the "bt" command will provide a call trace of what
>> happened when the program crashed, that is the first piece of
>> information that is needed to find the bug.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Henrik

>> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

Based on the core trace, I decided to remove all files from
~/server/tmp/.  I do not think we had removed any files from running
RC1,2,4-6 from '~/server/tmp/' so perhaps it was choking on something
(hobbitd.chk)?  It has been running clean for more than an hour.  It
typically dumps core before an hour has passed and the purple trends
occur before an hour of running too.  I did have to re-disable my
disabled hosts of course.  So far it looks good!  Thanks for your help
Henrik.

~David